The full instructions to enjoy the annual iftar of SaharaSafaris 4x4 Club is split into two pages here:
- This page outlining all common instructions to all events but that are essential and obligatory during the event. Regulars of the event can skim through it to remind themselves of those essential rules but they have seen them before.
- The specific information/instructions to this year's event (eg, Ramadan 2017) which has different meeting point, schedule, offers by partners and different activities. You'll find the link to this page at the bottom of this page.
Both are inseperable and must be read carefully. You are kindly requested to print both pages and keep in your pocket to answer most of your questions. PLEASE READ "ALL" INSTRUCTIONS. YOU MAYBE IN RISK OF GETTING LOST OR ANNOY OTHERS IF YOU DON'T READ ALL! ORGANIZERS WILL NOT COUNT NEITHER REMIND OF WHAT'S NEXT DUE TO THE VERY LARGE NUMBERS AND LARGE PLACE.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THIS EVENT
On the most beautiful scenes of desert lakes we set our Iftar Camp at the beach and enjoy the evening full of stars and lights reflected on the lake from far Fayoum. In addition to the local knowledge of our Bedouin organizers preparing hot drinks, making optional food (some chooses to order desert delicacies) and setting up toilets.
This is a great opportunity for whole families (who own their 4x4) and who have never enjoyed a desert trip to join this Iftar which is a balance of great scenes, weather, great friendly community, and sky of stars and meteors.
CRITICAL RULES & GUIDELINES
- Punctuality is KING.
- Follow Leader ALWAYS by following Numbered 4x4s ahead of you in the order of the convoy.
- NEVER go outside Leader track unless specifically instructed by Crew member.
- When offroad engage 4H. When back on road engage 2H. (Note: some cars like Toyota Fortuners are permanent 4H so no need to switch. Ask any of the Crew before we leave meeting point if not certain)
- No one will remind you from the Crew to start packing or leaving or miss you if you're late. BE PUNCTUAL and USE SCHEDULE (except force majeure) or you may lose us.
- Always tune in to Walky Talky Channel 5 (ask Crew if needs setting). Please don't talk much on Channel unless you need help.
- At Camp, DO NOT FLASH LIGHTS AT FACES AND AVOID USING LAMPS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO GET USED TO MOON-LIT VIEWS.
- 4X4S & MOTORBIKES ARE STRICTLY NOT ALLOWED TO MOVE once parked without permission from LEADER or CREW. THIS IS A SERIOUS RULE to avoid harming others in the dark or get stuck in sand where Crew cannot find you!
- If a 4x4 doesn't have the “official numbered sticker” of the Iftar, or SaharaSafaris golden “CREW” Badge on the back of their car, they’re not part of this Iftar! Please avoid and report.
- It’s only 25mins window to pay and get sticker and place your passengers back to your 4x4, so there will be NO time for toilets nor gas-filling, etc. If you want any of this, plan to arrive an hour or 30mins before recommended arrival time (see schedule at the page of the event of this year). We don’t count the 4x4s before we leave, so you MUST be ready to leave on time SHARP without expecting calls or shouts. We're normally very strict with time. Ask about us!
VERY strict on timing so be careful (even if tens of 4x4s are late, we'll leave with rest just to be on time. See schedule). SSC CREW's phones will mostly be off during the day before event BECAUSE you have the entire time plan (see schedule) in this event's specific page.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS HASHTAG
All our Iftar events has #ssc4x4iftar and keep it public for all to find it.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your food & bev with paper cups and plates.
- 2X3m carpet (2X3m ONLY).
- Garbage bag to carry yours and pack in car to drop in Cairo.
- Walky talky (set to Motorola channel 5 & subchannel 0). If you haven't one, join our Radio Amateurs Telegram group https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAD63543LUbz6on1Q_w (needs you to download app on PC or Smarwatch)
- a light torch or headlamp.
- Your ticket for optional desert delicacy you paid for (if any)
CLOTHES & SHOES
- Arriving late afternoon, we'll find this summer day stay warm but we are on a beach with nice desert breeze. For those willing, bring your swimsuit and associated things. It's salt water. Be sure to be ready to Iftar by 6.30.
- Bring a hat. Shoes soft for sand with little rock. Crocs are fine for those trying the Kayaks. On Kayaks, you may use normal clothes or shorts which will be splashed and you'll have to walk in water in ankle deep before you sit on it.
- Night breeze maybe a bit cold at times. A light coat in car just in case.
THE TRIP STEP BY STEP
Below are the points important for you to fit right away in every step of the trip:
BEFORE THE TRIP
- Read the two pages. This one holding common information/rules to all events specially if it's your first time. And the other one for the specifics of this event at this year (see link at bottom below).
- All 4x4s must have their tires at 24 PSI during the trip at all stages from cairo to back.
- Full tank is important but no need for additional gasoline jerrycans.
ARRIVING AT MEETING POINT
- Print schedule and follow it faithfully.
- Arrive at Meeting Point and park as instructed without annoying others please.
- Agree with your passengers on where to go and instruct on exact time of back to car.
- As per Meeting point instructions, find Leader to finalize get your sticker and instructions and pay.
- Stick the "Official Number Sticker" at the upper left of your rear windshield.
LEAVING MEETING POINT
- Sometimes a minute early or SHARP on time, Leader's 4x4 (Mabrouk's green Cherokee XJ) will move out of the parking. Be ready and follow in one line behind him.
- Sequence of Numbers on Sticker is important but not obligatory.
- If not sure of your position in the order by Number sequence, follow the line behind the leader without annoying others.
ON-ROAD TO CAMP
- We are quite stubborn about Safety rules. Buckle up EVERYONE at any time car is moving. Kids even more important to buckle. Roads of Egypt are more dangerous than off-road, you carry responsibilities of other passengers.
- Tune in your Walky Talky for instructions/updates from Crew while driving (Motorola GMRS channel 5, sub-ch 0 or 462.6625).
- Mabrouk the Leader will drive slow leading the Caravan so don’t break traffic lights or make dangerous moves on road.
- Leader will go Max 100 kph. Keep distances car ahead of you on highway at least 15m on slow speeds and max 40m. NEVER leave wide gaps between yours and 4x4 in front of you or you may delay all cars behind you in caravans.
- Always follow instructions of Club's Leaders (their Cars' labelled CREW in large golden sticker on back).
- You may like to check the standard Convoy rules (How to do desert 4x4ing: http://goo.gl/VTU4Me).
OFF-ROAD TO CAMP
- Five kilometers from road to beach.
- This is the fun part. Just follow instructions of the leader and Crew.
- The adventure gets even more fun on the way out so FOLLOW STRICTLY all advices from Crew. All is taken into consideration!
- You MUST STAY IN THE CONVOY LINE AT ALL TIMES. If you get off on your own, Crew might not be able to find you for help.
AT ARRIVAL TO IFTAR CAMP
Before they ever leave the car, make sure all your passengers are aware of PACKING TO LEAVE time (see schedule) and NEVER to miss it (note that there are no phone coverage and it'll be hard to find them in crowds).
On arrival to campsite at beach of lake, you'll find Mabrouk & Crew instructing to:
- Parking in a line parallel to Carpets and away from it by 15 meters (follow lead of the Leader). Park in the line leaving 1.5 to 2 meters between car next to you.
- Find your place on the carpet near your friends or as grouped by the Crew (Fortuner 4x4s together, Cherokee XJ together, etc.)
- Checkout on foot where the toilets are, where the tea/coffee will be served, the optional meal will be served (if you ordered one) and on the beach.
ACTIVITIES AT CAMP
- Keep your Walky Talky attached to you personally at the camp at all times not to miss any News Updates.
- Once camped, 4x4ing is NOT ALLOWED AT ALL TIMES inside or around camp.
- You may check any of the Club's T-shirts, or mugs.
- Adhan will be said by Leader. Wait till you hear it, because this is different from Cairo times.
- AT IFTAR PLEASE SHARE YOUR FOOD AND MINGLE TO ONES NEXT TO YOU ON CARPET. INVITE THEM TO WHAT YOU DO.
- After iftar, feel free to walk around in and near lake. And you can lay on your back to watch stars constellation (abraag), as well as counting meteors (شهب).
- THERE MAYBE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS, don't be shy to go join the singing, and maybe share with your dessert.
- If you’re science-oriented, read on lake qaroun here (http://goo.gl/26aW3W).
- If you like astronomy, Leo, Virgo are visible in the sky during the night towards South. Scorpio constellation (برج العقرب) will be still low and fully visible at the end of our time there. (see more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpius).
- Make sure that your passengers will be ready enough time before PACKING TIME (see schedule) near your 4x4 because SEARCHING is difficult with so many people (no phone coverage)
- There will be 2 small simple toilet tents for ladies and gents on the side. Not perfect but useful. Use your flashlight and don't stand near when occupied.
- Packing to leave starts strictly on time (see schedule) so that cars can be ready to leave on time.
- We share carrying our garbage back in our cars as much as we ethically can. All 4x4ers should check the area around them to collect in their bags.
- Note that way out may be different from way in so don't go before Leader or Crew starts.
OFF-ROAD OUT OF CAMP
- Fun again on the off-road part. Keep tuned to Walky Talky. Crew will be calling you with your Number on the Sticker
- Stick to track exactly as guided by the Leader. Don't follow anyone who maybe going astray
- Call on a Crew member to help if got stuck in sand.
- All time is taken into consideration, so don't be alarmed.
ON-ROAD BACK TO CAIRO
- Once reaching the road, we wait until others reach us from the offroad part and then move following an assigned leader.
- The North of Lake Road continues west and around edge of Qaroun lake for 10 minutes. This segment still has some parts covered by sand, stick to Leader's instructions. Then the road curves back to east at the south of the lake towards Cairo.
- Once we reach the road bend at Tunis village, you are allowed to leave Convoy from this point on if you know your way home. Take permission on Walky Talky from Leader and say greetings and leave. Leader (Mabrouk) drives max 100k/h back to Cairo with whoever is following till October.
ABOUT SS CLUB
Since 2001, SaharaSafaris 4x4 Club is friendly for all ages and skills and backgrounds. It’s NOT friendly towards unsafe practices or on disrespect to Egyptian family values. It’s NOT Commercial nor aspires to be although has the highest quality and expertise needed. In the Club, we are all professionals of many industries, using it to create a good event for serious hobbyists and families in and out of Egypt. Membership of Group on Facebook or Telegram is not a condition to join, but that’s where you can ask all your questions about Exploring Nature and Culture around Egypt and the World and find our huge pool of expertise.
Find Any Crew in their badged 4x4s, or on calling on Walky Talky (emergencies only please). Leader Mabrouk is visible with his SSC branded green polo-shirt with "Keep Calm & Learn 4x4" on the back.
FREQUENT CREW MEMBERS
- المستشار / عمرو كامل - قاضى
اتصل بيه على التليجرام http://t.me/Judge_amr
- مهندس / محمد طارق - شركة بروكتور أند جامبل
اتصل بيه على التليجرام http://t.me/mahdally
- رامى خالد - خبير أبحاث التسويق
اتصل بيه على التليجرام http://t.me/Ramy_k
- مهندس / محمد مبروك - قسم تسويق - اتصالات مصر
اتصل بيه على التليجرام http://t.me/MMabrouk
OUR WEB PRESENCE
SAHARASAFARIS CLUB'S BRANDED APPAREL
- Mugs (4x4ing, Hiking, Flying, Diving, etc.) for egp65 each,
- T-shirts (high quality yellow 4x4 and Hiking) for egp120 each, and
- Car Sticker (rounded yellow, "4x4ing with SaharaSafaris") for egp5. A small sticker (6cm only) is replica of the large yellow one (2 for egp5)
SSC 4X4 OFFROADING "LOGBOOK"
The Club's official 4x4 Logbook for 4x4 safaris is now in distribution. At time of paying, you may buy one for egp20.
4x4 Logbook is the best way to document all your offroading experience. It's also good to receive your discounts from variety of providers.
To know more, check /logbook
ABOUT MEMBERS OF SAHARASAFARIS 4X4 CLUB
Here's a glimpse of this impressive backgrounds of yours (yes you as a member of this Community of the Club).
Factory owners, Telecommunication Engineer, Import Expert, Manager of a Bank, Bank's Wealth Relationship Manager, Owner of food packaging, Etisalat Misr, Manager TEData, Vodafone, Production Manager, Manager at Unilever Mashreq, Engineer at Hewlett Packard Entrprise, Housewife, Engineer at Egyptian Drilling Company, Palm Hills Developments, Oracle, Doctor, HR, Editor PR, ExxonMobil, Students, EMC2, ADIB BANK, Beltone Financial, ElMansour & ElMaghraby, Clinical Oncology Consultant, IDEAL STANDARD international, Market research director, Kidzania cairo, Coca-cola, Sabbour Group, Police officer, Lawyer, Orange, Divemaster insurance, Diplomat, EgyptAir, Film Producer, Nestlé, HSBC, Dusit Thani hotel, Pharmacist, Public prosecutor (Wakil Neyaba), Judge, Leauge of Arab states, Raya, Melody Group, Intel Egypt & Levant, Smart Goods Co, Otis (and more)
Check the Community Partner in this year's Event's page (find the link at the bottom of this page), to claim your gift/discount or learn what you need to be eligible for it.
Every year, we invite some of the Club's friends to distribute relevent gifts to Members who are a very special segment of the Egyptian society. Because the Club is not Commercial, all benefits go to members directly during the event.
If you are a Business and interested in joining the partnership with out Community of Members, please contact Club's Founder Eng. Mohamed Mabrouk (on Telegram App http:t.me/mmabrouk ). By relevant, we mean anything related to 4x4s, Desert Safaris, Special Ramadan food&bev, etc.). Only participants will be eligible so you can maximize the benefit to the numbers attending only (ranges between 200 and 400 persons usually)
WHERE DO I GO FOR QUESTIONS
On https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaharaSafaris.club/ (your subscription must be approved)
On Telegram, JOIN https://t.me/SaharaSafaris4x4Club for a very experienced discussion of 4x4 and offroading news.
If you are a Toyota Fortuner Owner, you may join the SaharaSafaris Fortuner group on Telegram: https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEAJILvxvukPtJBKRw
If you are a Jeep Cherokee XJ (1995-2001) Owner, you may join the SaharaSafaris XJ group on Telegram: https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAD5IsMFzwxVQdEu81g
If you are a Subaru XV Owner, you may join the SaharaSafaris Subaru XV group on Telegram: https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEAtsQ6MM3cgY52pvA