Kayaks are the 4x4 of boats! Kayaks are fast, easy, small and personal boats that can handle most types of water surfaces like rivers, sea, whitewater and lakes.
A kayak can carry few things of yours and are ultralight to carry on car (around 20Kgs each). They come in many designs to suit explorative and adventurous even extreme sport. But for the most part, they're good to paddle (rowing) long distances of water surfaces and that we call Cross-country activity.
We use our Kayaks in our cross-country trips exploring rivers and desert lakes in Egypt. This fits just perfectly in our long list of Community-led activities in SaharaSafaris Club where many members have all the logistics they need to arrange for it.
To make cost effective, and rather than each buy her/his own kayak, we bought a small fleet to keep and rent them on cost for all members.
A 50% discount on all prices below is applied till end of July 2016. Damage deposit is paid on delivery and a copy of ID of recipient is left. Contacts to book is mentioned below.
|Kayaking Rates 2016 (All in EGP)||One Day||2nd Day||3rd Day or more|
|Single sit-on-top Kayak -
18 Kg, 260 cm, max load 110 Kg
For Pick-up and Drop-off
- Just pay the agreed money (deposit or total rental whichever is larger), sign the waiver and leave your ID to pick up the Kayaks and their tie-downs and additional items
- Pick-up and drop-off will be at a friend's garage in October City. Location will be sent on whatsapp and described in text. A phone number will be provided for you to meet at the place.
- Rental costs include PFD (life-jacket), paddles, roof-pads, tie-down straps, and other equipment you may need.
- Damage deposit is EGP 1200 per kayak, to be paid when you pick up the kayak(s) and refunded on drop-off on time. (Note: if equipment is in need of cleaning, we will retain a EGP 50 fee from this deposit, plus the rental fees of course)
- For reservation, you MUST contact us ahead to hold the kayaks for you (at least 4 days before), please avoid weekends. If you don't pick it up on time (you wasted opportunity for others to rent), next time you'll have to reserve with deposit of half payment. Still if your plans change and you need to cancel, we will gladly refund your deposit as long as you cancel at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to pick-up. If you missed the 3 days notice, we will have to withhold the 50% of the rental fees.
- You need a roofrack to carry them. If you are unsure whether your car can carry a kayak (our Kayaks are only 18 Kg), drop us a line with your roofrack's image. We have straps and ropes and can almost always make it work for you.
- *Must have prior touring kayak experience for your safety.
- You'll be asked to sign a waiver and provide ID copy
- To contact for more info or reservations, it's either on Telegram to @mmabrouk (https://telegram.me/mmabrouk) or message SaharaSafaris Club's Page
Kayak Orientation & Tours
SaharaSafaris has many leaders in many activities. This is a new one and so far we have no volunteering Leaders (our leaders always do it co-operatively meaning they cover the costs only without retaining money for profit and without paying for his gas nor rent). But we have small groups interested in organizing some for themselves and for others to come along. So check on the our SaharaSafaris Group on Facebook for such people and Leaders. Cross country requires skills of navigation and sometimes seamanship. Be safe!
Kayaks for Fishing
We're currently equipping our Kayaks to be good for fishing. Serious fishermen, like with a feloka, goes in doubles, on a Kayak carrying their gear and boxes few hundreds of meters off the shore and for couple of hours. If you are one, then this is for you too
Types of Kayaks
Find on this youtube video in English some of the differences between the two major types of Kayaks: Sit-on-top and Sit-inside Kayaks.
These are a bit new since 1970s that worked fine for warm regions and didn't need much training like the other classical types. This type however, has grown to be one of the most diversified. Fishermen make some of the customized to hold their gear and anchor them in the right places. Whitewater adventurers make belts to fix them on top and venture into touch waters. Cross-country fit it with boxes for their gear and camping gear to carry to other places.
Inflatable sit-on-top Kayaks
They're quite new in the scene. Most 'packable' and mobile of all Kayaks since they can fit in a normal-sized bags and inflate to normal size Kayak at the beach. They also offer some of the good quality of sit-on-top except customization
The original Kayak that works better in cold weathers (where it originally was invented by Inuit people) but requires some training for balancing, re-mounting, and turning in and out of the water without having to dismount. This type is best suited for colder weathers and whitewater crossings.
Sports based on types of Kayaks
Cross country Kayaking
Like hiking, those kind of trips are not exhausting but offer a surprisingly new veiw of the areas of the coasts of desert lakes or Nile and beyond that has never been seen or experienced before. SaharaSafaris will start with this sport of Kayaks and expand on it gradually using the great logistics of 4x4 owners taking it to many of the desert lakes. See how to tie-down the Kayaks below and how to rent above.
Fishing on Kayaks
Fishermen are some of the most heavy customizers and users of Sit on top Kayaks. We in SaharaSafaris understand their needs are providing rentals to get on your car and travel to coasts like Sukhna, Ras Sidr, or the likes with your fishing gear and get them to the waters where fishing is the best.
Here are some videos on how to set up your Kayak for fishing:
Whitewater is where a river goes fast over obstacles and then falls in waterfalls of various heights. Kayaks are the only type of boats that could be used to tackle and overcome such spectacle obstacles. Few illustrations below captureing some of those extreme moments.
Tying down a Kayak on a car's Roofrack
Our rigid but very light kayaks fit easily on a roofrack. All you need to do is to place it (length parallel to car's direction) on foam blocks (or thick carpets), strap it with elastic tie-downs from right to left with two straps and for each bow (front end) and stern (rear end) to tie them to the roofrack underneath them with another 4 tie-downs.
Always wear your floatation life-jacket PFD and insist that none goes without it.
Never go on a trip without leaving with someone trusted or your Club your exact locations and time to return.
Like any boat, kayaks could capsize (overturn) in waves, or by making mistakes of your balance. Be prepared with the right clothes and placing all your things in floating dry bags.
If water around you is not drinkable make sure you bring more than enough water to avoid drinking polluted water.
If crossing large distances, make sure you can go against the current by having enough time, enough energy with your paddling, and enough water. If you cannot, be prepared to go to beach at any spot with possibly a phone and a GPS to pin-point where to pick you up.
Here's an extract from what the manufacturer made as Warning:
- Paddlesports can be dangerous and physically demanding
- Participating in paddlesports may result in serious injury or death.
- Consult your physician prior to beginning paddlesports training
- Observe the following rules whenever using this product.
- Obtain instructions for this product from your Club.
- Obtain certified first aid training prior to using this product and carry first aid and rescue/safety equipment.
- Do not exceed your paddling abilities; be aware of your limitations.
- Do not use alcohol or mind altering drugs prior to or while using this product.
- Always wear an approved personal flotation device.
- Always wear a headcover.
- Dress appropriately for weather conditions; cold water and/or cold weather can result in hypothermia. Hot sun could cause fatal sun stroke.
- Always attach the safety tether to the paddle.
- Never paddle alone.
- Be aware of wind speed, river water levels, tidal changes and dangerous currents and your abilities to return back if against them.
Scout unfamiliar water, portage where appropriate.
- The user of this product acknowledges both an understanding and an assumption of the risk involved in paddlesports.